Substance Use Disorder Therapy in Grand Rapids, MI
Substance use disorders impact millions of people in the U.S., but only 10% of individuals ever seek treatment for addiction. Additionally, 20% of people with mood disorders like anxiety or depression also have a substance use disorder. With statistics like these, it’s no surprise that helping people better understand substance use disorders is an important part of my therapy work. I’m Olja Haglund, a therapist in Grand Rapids, MI, with nearly twenty years of experience. If you want to make changes in the way you use or think about substances, working with me for substance use therapy in Grand Rapids, MI can help.
What are Substance Use Disorders?
How Do Substance Use Disorders Impact Daily Life?
Substance use disorders can impact a person’s life in a multitude of ways, including:
- Feeling an intense desire to use a drug frequently, often several times a day
- Inability to concentrate due to the need to use
- Using more of the substance or using more often to achieve the same results
- Purchasing drugs or alcohol even if you can’t afford them often through illegal or dishonest means
- Failing to complete daily tasks or keep obligations
- Avoiding friends or loved ones and skipping out on social engagements
- Continuing drug use despite associated problems with health or safety
- Expending increasing amounts of time on seeking drugs
- Unable to stop using the drug and/or experiencing withdrawal symptoms related to cessation
Will Visiting a Therapist Help with Substance Use Disorder?
As part of a recovery plan, substance use disorder therapy in Grand Rapids, MI can help individuals who are struggling with addiction to:
- Recognize and avoid or cope with triggers that increase risk for relapse
- Develop coping skills to deal with cravings
- Create plans for how to handle workplace issues, relationship complexities, and other difficulties related to addiction
- Come up with a plan to handle relapse if it occurs
Get Started with a Phone Consultation
If you’re interested in learning more, let’s get started with a 15-minute phone consultation today. You can use my contact form or call the office to set up this consultation. If you do not reach me via phone, please leave a voicemail, and I will be in touch within 24 hours.